POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruins WIP #3 : Re: Ruins WIP #3 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruins WIP #3
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Mar 2009 05:20:00
Message: <web.49be1971a53135e36dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> There are a couple of interesting developments here.
>
> 1) the lowered courtyard (or raised gallery if you wish) is often created
> for a simple practical reason: rainfall. If you do not want the gallery to
> be flooded, just raise it above the court yard level. This is also true for
> regions with little rainfall (but huge quantities of rain at once).

Good point. However, I wish you hadn't mentioned this, bacause now I feel that
maybe I should put some drains and guttering into the gallery floor! Argh! ;-)

> 2) What Clipka suggests (abrasion by tourist feet) would be nice to pursue.
> Between the columns, the flagstones should indeed be hollowed out by years
> of use.

Indeed. While this would be an interesting challenge, I shan't be pursuing it in
this scene, because a) I think it will be very difficult :P and b) I'm after an
abandoned look, untouched by tourism.

Bill